Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Letter to my Grandpa

My paternal Grandma passed away on 6/6/09. After some sleepless nights and a cloudy state of mind, I've finally built up the courage to write my Grandpa a letter. I know death is a part of life, and everyone has their time to go. The thing that hurts me the most is to know that one day we will lose our companion. Sure, "don't get too attached" they say--but that bond of love and companionship is inevitable. Love doesn't die when a person does, and I know my Grandparents had their own way of doing things that made their love so obvious to the outside world.
I am so thankful for being able to visit them last October when I went to India. There were laughs and words shared with my Grandma that are ingrained in my memory. She was a very humorous person, and always thanked me for teaching her to forget about the nonsense dramatic lives people in India often live. Her laugh was such a loud cry of happiness, and it always had you laughing even if something wasn't funny. We shared the same joy in imitating people and making light of a situation. Her discipline and laugh will forever hold a place in my mind and heart. I'll miss you Daadi, rest in peace.


The letter:

June 10, 2009
Dearest Dada,

I hope you are coping well. The sad news was a shock to all of us, and the important thing is for us to have our family members surround us in order to provide comfort. I am thankful for being able to spend time with both of you when I came to India last October. I have engrained certain moments and words Daadi and I shared, and consider them a significant influence in my life.
How are you doing? Right now everybody must be visiting in and out of the house to keep you company. You have lost your companion but please do not feel you are all alone. You are fortunate to have your brothers, Naimish Kaka/Hema Kaki and Sapna/Harshal nearby to take care of you and keep you company. Spending time with Sapna and Harshal will keep your mind off of things because a growing kid's life always has something new and spontaneous going on.
I miss Daadi very much, but I also understand these things a part of life and everyone has their time to go. On Thursday, as you all are participating in the "uthamnu, " we will be visiting a Mandir and conducting some prayers. On Friday, Dad's friend K.B. Uncle is coming in the evening and we will be chanting some slokas and verses from the Gita. As a final closure, Bina Fai family and us will visit a nearby Balaji Mandir and then eat dinner consisting of Daadi's favorite foods.
To provide you a change of scenery, you can consider coming here and staying with us for however long. Bina Fai is coming there in a few weeks, so this should make you feel good as well.

Whosever life Daadi's soul is destined to touch, we know that person will live a good life just as Daadi did. Please take care of yourself and surround yourself amongst our close family members so that you do not feel alone. We are here for you should you need anything.
Love and Peace,
Nisha

No comments:

Post a Comment